Cardiff Snow- Feb 09

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dont mess with a lane rope

Oh dear, how could I forget the swimming story!! Thanks mom!!


Well, 2 or 3 weeks ago, we had a swimming gala held at our centre. One of the schools who use our pool for their swimming lessons had booked the large pool for a few hours, to have their school gala. So as lifeguards, we had a few things to set up for this event.

Everything had been running smoothly, we had done everything we needed to do, just needed to put one last lane rope in the middle of the pool. All the kiddies were there sitting on the poolside, all the parents sitting on the balcony chairs, the timers and announcers waiting and setting up last minute things....and me, and my manager Nicole, finishing things off with the last lane rope. So she is at the deep end, im at the shallow end, both holding a side of the lane rope..and pulling it across, a task i have done many times before without problems.

Its quite heavy, and takes a fair amount of pulling...so we both pull in turn, slowly moving it along the water, to the middle of the pool....when Nicole pulled a bit too much from her side. Well you can guess what happened, I fell in wearing my trousers, trainers, undershirt and golf shirt as well as having my radio in my pocket. The worst bit, was as I landed in the water, i just heard an explosion of laughter! I tried to stand up, but my trainers were slipping on the bottom of the pool. Eventually I got on my feet and looked towards my manager laughing, her mouth was on the floor, she couldnt believe what had just happened. I hooked the lane rope in, swam over the the steps and climbed out, still being deafened by the laughs from everyone.

She came over to me and kept saying she was sorry, but I was laughing so much and said not to worry, she gave me a while off the pool to go get changed, luckily I had shorts and my flip flops in my locker, so was able to put those on, and just wear my work fleece jumper on my top half.


My manager STILL feels bad to this day, but it really was so funny. After I was changed, and back on poolside, watching the gala...I had many parents and teachers asking me if I wanted another swim, or If i do that often, etc etc. Too funny!


Giggling like mad thinking about it now...

4 comments:

Michelle Ramsay said...

I can't comment, I am too hysterical and just about falling off my chair.

Liesel is here with me and is just as hysterical.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha only you!!!!

Love
me

Anonymous said...

We all had a good laugh.We all had a nice braai at gran's house.Waiting to see you and Cassandra is counting the days-25-
love us all

Desire Fourie said...

Now its just as well you have a good sense of humor and are able to laugh at yourself ... you definitely got this good characteristic from you mom. It seems like this event will become an urban legend in time to come ... so see youself as quite a hero ... glad to see the spirits are up on that side. Love Desire

Anonymous said...

Your mom says i must just say whatever so i have said it....


Which was better, falling into dog $*!# of falling in front of a pool with loads of bystanders???

Love from the person who taught you to do crazy things.

My flat, Christmas and New Year

Thorpe Park, Open Day, Drinks